See, I was upstairs in the shower when I heard the sound of lots of water running. And it wasn't the shower. I threw on my towel and ran downstairs to find water pouring out of the expansion tank of the water heater. It was spraying everywhere. The tank had a huge crack right down the middle of it. I ran and turned off the house water shutoff valve (do you know where yours is?--if you don't it's a GOOD thing to know). Then I called Ryan to come home and help. We ended up calling a plumber to come and fix it.
He came and put a new tank in. $145 later..... Grrr.....
The water got all over the place, the floor and walls in the laundry room and sprayed up into the air vents, so it was dripping down in the family room too. We pulled back the ceiling tiles and sucked out the water and aired it out. 
Good thing we have one of these in the laundry room. :)
About twenty minutes after the plumber left the water heater was leaking too, so we had to fix that ourselves, by draining the tank, replacing the TP valve. It probably needed drained anyway, but grr... We spent the rest of the day cleaning up all the water, sucking it up out of the carpet and cleaning it off the cement floor in the laundry room. We went through a lot of towels, created a lot of laundry and made my house smell musty for a few days.
The good news? All done now! And no permanent damage. At least I was home when it happened, it could have been worse!
No comments:
Post a Comment