My kids were discussing their favorite colors today. They insisted we list our top 3 in order. I actually had to think about it for a minute, my taste in color has actually changed a bit over the years. But here's what we came up with. Emmalee's top three: pink, purple, and aquamarine (?). Blake's top 3: blue, green, and black. Jarom's (as guessed by the other two kids, to which I mostly concur): green, orange, and red.
Mine? Red, Red, and Red.
Okay, red, blue, and green.
I know, so boring.
Really, I just wanted to try out changing the color of the words on my blog.
Partially.
That and I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to introduce you to my daughter's almost 8 year long obsession.
She's infatuated with pink.
She's a pink girl.
Pink is her world.
Pink is in her thoughts daily.
She loves EVERYTHING pink. If it's pink, her eyes literally light up. And if it's shiny and pink--look out. She's in heaven.
She's OBSESSED with pink. Can I give you an example?
Today, she left the house dressed for school wearing her pink sweat pants, her PINK panther PINK shirt, her pink fuzzy socks, and her pink icarly shoes.
I can't go shopping with her if I want to buy her something that doesn't have pink. She will actually wear clothes that aren't pink sometimes, as long as I bought them for her without her there at the time. It's the only time I can get away with it! If I take her with me, it's an uphill battle to get anything that doesn't have pink somewhere on it. Nope, doesn't matter how much or how little pink it has on it. As long as it has SOME pink on it. Although the more the better. The stores aren't helping though. They know that there are girls like my daughter out there that eat that pink right up.
Pink is a princess color.
It dictates girl color in our society. Still. And I'm not being stereotypical, it just does!
Her favorite drink? Pink Lemonade.
Her past favorite cartoon characters? Pink Panther, Pinkie Dinkie Doo (who ironically hates pink), and Olivia (although beit NOT pink, red which is close enough to pink that she doesn't mind it).
She gets excited when we buy any kind of food that is pink. She loves easter because there's lots of pink around.
I'm telling you-- the girl is obsessed.
I really honestly thought she'd eventually outgrow this favorite color/obsession. But it's looking like it's here to stay for a while.
Until of course tomorrow when she tells me that she no longer likes pink. NOT!
Wanna hear the irony now?
I HATE PINK. Always have. I've rolled my eyes at it since I was iddy bitty. The tomboy in me snickered at the color every time I saw it. The bane of my existence for years was our PINK carpet that was in the living room. It has since been replaced. (Whoo-hoo!)
But because I love my daughter I feed her obsession. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot, but I painted her room pink. The quilt I'm making her is mostly pink. I even bought her a pink rug for her room. And of course I let her wear her entire pink outfit to school every once in a while. What can I say? Maybe it's growing on me a little...Or not. But I can say my daughter is growing a little on me too. So I'll set my pink hatred aside just for her. As long as she doesn't mock my red.
No comments:
Post a Comment