Beardall Family 2012

Beardall Family 2012

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Day in the Life of Heather

My friend Laura decided to post a typical day on her blog through pictures and a blog post. What an insightful, fun thing to do. She challenged her readers to do the same--take around a camera and capture your typical day. So I decided to take her up on it! And hey, if you feel like trying it--go ahead! It was SOOO fun! I've realized that I do a lot more in a day than I give myself credit for, and I captured some fun moments and photos. So here it is: A day in the life of Heather! C'mon, take a peek... You KNOW you want to!

My day starts typically at about 6:45 a.m. when Ryan wakes me up as he is heading out the door. He's such a sweetie, he gets the kids up and puts them at the breakfast table and makes their lunches as he's making his to take to work. He lets me sleep in a little (and by sleeping in I mean like 10 or 15 minutes longer)and then wakes me up about then and I take over the morning routine with the kiddos. Every once in a while Ryan can't get little Jarom to wake up enough to sit at the table with the kiddos and so he puts Jarom in with me while the kiddos finish up breakfast and I will myself to get up.


Around 7, I'm finally fully awake and roll out of bed and nag the kiddos to finish eating and clear their places. This continues for anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on the grumpiness of the kiddos or myself. On to baths! Can't get them in, and then can't get them out. SOOOO frustrating. On to nagging them to get dressed, dressing Jarom, then moving on to making sure thay are all dressed appropriately for the weather, that lunches have made it into their backpacks, and that we make it out the door with hats and gloves, and homework and any extra things for the day. Most mornings I have to start the car and scrape the windows. Wyoming weather! Grrr... Out the door and into the car.. After wrangling them all into their respective carseats and buckling them in, we head up to school! I would send them both on the bus, but they would literally spend 45 minutes on the bus EACH WAY and have to TRANSFER buses once coming and going. The 7 minute drive is so much more justified. Two kiddos in school. YAY! Jarom and I head home. Once or twice a month little Jarom and I grab a hot cocoa at the exxon on the way home. Special treat just for us. Today was the day!
Quick stop at the bank to cash a check and get Jarom a sucker. Aw, home! I get Jarom situated in front of Dora and *I* get to get ready for the day. Oh wait, gotta change batteries in the camera. Oh yeah, AND let Sammy out. Okay, let's get ready! Shower power, blowdry that hair!
Brush those pearly whites! !And torture those eyes! Er, uh, I mean, get those contacts in! Tada! On to hair and makeup! Much better! Not bad time today! On to dishes! Unload and load 'em up! (First batch of two today.) Let Sammy out AGAIN. What IS that smell? Second diaper change of the day. Let's get that poopy diaper outta here. Can't wait until he's potty trained! First trash of the day out the door. Blake'll take that to the dumpster later. Down to laundry. Washy Washy. And unloading the dryer. Am I boring you yet? I'm bored myself. But look! More to do! Gotta get Jarom out of the water first though...
On to the folding. But I DO try to make that at least a little more interesting. I decided to try something a little different this year, and it's working GREAT! I put the scriptures on my ipod and I listen to a few chapters a day while I'm folding laundry. You should try it! So far so good. Jarom decided to follow along today. Too cute. Jarom "helps" fold laundry but gets bored pretty easy. And inevitively gets into something. Today it was the tupperware. AGAIN Sammy? Really? Usually we spend lunch at home over some PB&J or mac n cheese or something, but today we went to lunch at BK so I could meet with one of the counselors for Relief Society so we could plan out classes. It was fun. Feeding and chasing kids, planned classes and 2 hours later, we got back home. Jarom was a little bored and Heather was feeling a little fat from her cocoa and BK binge, so we decided to take a bike ride around the neighborhood. 1/2 hour later Jarom had a good short nap and I had a good workout. Time to chill. Check some email, surf the web. And answer the phone. Telemarketers, grr… On the do not call registry and seriously? It’s from the same company that I ALREADY subscribe to. Heather’s eyes rolling. Chill out 'til pickup time for kiddos. A little HGTV please. Herd Jarom out the door to pickup the kids, wait for a parking spot, and on the way home again. Check the mail on the way. Grab a snack for the kiddos, and pour through backpacks and Take Home folders. 5:00, Ryan's home--Finally! I love it when he comes home. So nice. I'm so thankful for a schoolteacher schedule. I couldn't imagine dealing with anything else. Ryan is truly the cook in the family, although I do cook as well. Most of the time we end up sharing the cooking. I do prep and cleanup and he does the main part. So we make dinner and clean up, and veg in front of the tv.

It seems like Emmalee always has homework. And has since kindergarten-- I swear. They like to send home "family activities" and reading assignments all the time, so she always has something. Usually Ryan signs off on everything and we listen to her read. It's part of our go to bed routine. We usually try and get Blake and Emmalee in bed by 8:30 so they can get up for school in the morning, and that seems to be working very well. By then they are tired enough that they will go to sleep, but not so tired they won't. Jarom is still a work in progress. If he gets a nap, he's up as long as mom and dad are (10:30-11:00 usually), but if he doesn't get a nap in he'll go to bed the same time as the other kids (which rarely happens--darn it all!). We have scripture and family prayer and read books and brush teeth. We've discovered that when we have a set routine for going to bed, it makes it a LOT easier to get them in bed. They actually ask for the routine now and won't go to bed without it. For years we struggled with getting them all to bed, and a while after Blake was born we started this and it works well for us. So there you have it! A day in the life of Heather. This is of course my usual everyday stuff, and it's always changing depending on what is going on that day. Usually we have something going on at night (meetings, school events, R.S. events, family events, etc.)and when I'm motivated, I try and go workout at the rec center three or 4 nights a week. Sometimes Jarom and I go see daddy at work over lunch. I don't ALWAYS get ready in the morning--there are days I don't get a shower or at least don't get one until like 7 at night. A few days a week I take my kids to school in my pjs, and there are days where I skip the laundry and the dishes and work on some project. But there you have it. Did you enjoy Heather's day? I sure did, but maybe I'm biased:)

1 comment:

Laura said...

Love it! It is so fun to see how other people spend their 24 hours. :)